The Missouri State University Alumni Association is governed by a 23-member Board of Directors, with five officers on the executive committee and 18 directors. The Board of Directors:
- Represents the interests of the alumni population as a whole
- In close collaboration with the office of alumni relations and the Missouri State University Foundation, has responsibility for providing leadership, resources and oversight of the Alumni Association’s strategic plan, ensuring alignment with University goals
- In close collaboration with the office of alumni relations and the Missouri State University Foundation, has responsibility for successful implementation of association programs and activities
The board has three standing committees:
- Nominating and awards
- Strategic planning
- Alumni engagement
Additional committees include:
- Volunteer management and recognition
- Student engagement and success
- Regional and special-interest alumni communities
Committees may be called to action by the chair of the board as indicated by the needs and priorities of the association.
Board member expectations
- Attend all Board meetings, prepare for agenda items and issues, and study supporting materials.
- Participate effectively in Board activities and discussions by voicing opinions, displaying leadership and thinking strategically and creatively. Offer ideas to help make the Board of Directors and the Alumni Association more meaningful to the alumni constituency.
- Serve on at least one committee, actively participate in discussions and projects and follow through on assignments.
- Serve as an ambassador for the University, and help raise the visibility of the Alumni Association and its programs and services by being present, whenever possible, at University and association activities including Homecoming.
- Support the University financially to the best of your ability, making Missouri State University a personal philanthropic priority.
- Represent the interests of everyone served by the association without favoring any special interests.
- Help to identify, cultivate and recruit future leaders for the Alumni Association.
- Assist with identifying and nominating individuals for the association’s annual alumni awards.
- Pay all travel expenses associated with meeting attendance. Meals while on campus for association meetings will be covered by the office of alumni relations.
- Members will be expected to attend campus board meetings and events and to participate in at least one committee.
- Much of the work of the board will be done in committee between board meetings.
- Depending on assigned projects, expect to spend a minimum of 2-4 hours per month on association business.
- Committee chairs and officers may expect to spend additional hours per month on association business.
All Missouri State University alumni are invited to apply to be members of the Alumni Association Board of Directors.
For questions, please contact Lori Fan, executive director of alumni relations, by email or at 417-836-5654.