The Missouri State University Alumni Association is governed by a 24-member Board of Directors, with five officers on the executive committee, 18 alumni directors and one Student Alumni Association member. The MSUAA Board of Directors:
- Represents the interests of the alumni population as a whole.
- Provides leadership, resources and oversight of the Alumni Association’s strategic plan, ensuring alignment with university goals.
- Successfully implementation of association programs and activities.
All board directors serve on one of four standing committees:
- Alumni Experiences and Engagement
- Student Engagement and Success
- Professional Development
Ad hoc committees are appointed by the Chair and include:
- Alumni Awards
- Strategic Planning
Additional committees may be called to action by the chair of the board as indicated by the needs and priorities of the association.
Board member expectations
- Attend all Board meetings, adequately prepare for discussion of agenda items and issues, and study supporting materials.
- Participate effectively in Board activities and discussions by voicing opinions, displaying leadership and thinking strategically and creatively. Offer ideas to help make the Board of Directors and the Alumni Association more meaningful to the alumni constituency.
- Serve on at least one standing committee, actively participate in discussions and projects and follow through on assignments.
- Serve as an ambassador for the university; help raise the visibility of the Alumni Association and its programs and services by being present, whenever possible, at university and association activities including Homecoming.
- Support the University financially to the best of your ability, making Missouri State University a personal philanthropic priority.
- Represent the interests of everyone served by the association without favoring any special interests.
- Help to identify, cultivate and recruit future leaders for the Alumni Association.
- Assist with identifying and nominating individuals for the association’s annual alumni awards.
- Pay all travel expenses associated with meeting attendance. Meals while on campus for association meetings will be covered by the office of alumni relations.
- Directors serve three-year terms and may be re-elected once at the recommendation of the Nominating Committee.
- Directors are expected to attend three board meetings annually on campus. When necessary, directors may participate remotely via Zoom.
- Much of the work of the board will be done in committees between board meetings. Most committees meet virtually once per month.
- Depending on assigned projects, expect to spend a minimum of 2-4 hours per month on association business.
- Committee chairs and officers may expect to spend additional hours per month on association business.
All Missouri State University alumni are eligible to be members of the Alumni Association Board of Directors. Terms of the board are staggered so that up to six directors are elected each year.
For questions about MSUAA board involvement, please email the Executive Director of Engagement and Alumni Relations or call 417-836-5654.